Welcome to the second part of my little mini-series on kitchen equipment and ingredients! One of the things that many of you mentioned in the BEB reader feedback survey is that you’d like to see some information about my favorite ingredients, kitchen tools and equipment. While I have some specific recommendations on my Tools of the Trade page, I haven’t done an in-depth look at everything I use on an (almost) daily basis and some of the things are out-of-date. I loved the idea and started with my essential ingredients last week; today I’m tackling all of the equipment and tools that I use in my kitchen!
You may have guessed from my label maker and alphabetized spices last week that I’m a little bit on the neurotic side when it comes to organizing. The truth is, I hate, hate, HATE cluttered countertops, so I stash everything away in my cabinets and drawers. That means no utensil crocks (even though I love them in theory!). To keep things organized in my drawers and averting a huge mess, I invested in some bamboo drawer organizers. I organized them in my drawers based on the size and what I was looking to group together. I used removable mounting squares on the bottom of each organizer to keep them in place and from sliding around when I open and close the drawers.
Below is a list of all of the cookware, bakeware, tools and gadgets that I use in the kitchen, along with brand recommendations, if applicable.
If you have any questions about the products, feel free to ask in the comments!
Countertop Appliances & Electrics
I use each of these on an almost daily basis, with the exception of the immersion blender and the waffle maker, however they are truly awesome to have when I need to puree a soup or want some waffles for breakfast!
1. Blender (Vitamix Professional Series 500)
2. Food Processor (Breville Sous Chef Food Processor)
3. Hand Mixer (Cuisinart 7-Speed Hand Mixer)
4. Immersion Blender (KitchenAid Pro Line Cordless Hand Blender)
5. Slow Cooker (Crock-Pot 6½-Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker)
6. Stand Mixer (KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer)
7. Waffle Maker (Breville Smart Waffle Maker)
Stand Mixer Attachments
8. Ice Cream Maker Attachment (KitchenAid)
9. Pasta Roller Attachment (KitchenAid)
Below are my most commonly used pieces of cookware. The ones I use on a nearly daily basis are: 10-inch cast iron skillet, 2-quart and 4-quart saucepans, and Dutch oven.
11. Cookware Set (Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel Cookware)
12. Dutch Oven (Le Creuset 7¼-Quart Round Dutch Oven)
13. Enameled Cast Iron Skillet (Le Creuset 12-inch – no longer found online)
14. Baking Stone (King Arthur Flour)
15. Bundt Pan (Nordic Ware Anniversary Bundt Pan)
16. Cake Pans – Three 8-inch round pans and three 9-inch round pans. (Nordic Ware Naturals)
17. Cheesecake (Springform) Pan (Nordic Ware Leakproof Springform Pan)
18. Cookie Sheets – I have three. (Vollrath Wear-Ever Cookie Sheets)
19. Cooling Racks – Again, three of these. (CIA Masters Collection Wire Cooling Racks)
20. Half-Sheet Pans – Yet again, three! (Lincoln Wear-Ever Half-Size Sheet Pans)
21. Loaf Pans – Two of each. (Williams-Sonoma)
24. Rectangular Baking Pan – I have one straight-sided 9×13-inch rectangular pan for baking (Williams-Sonoma), as well as an additional array of glass and ceramic casserole-style 9×13-inch pans.
25. Square Baking Pans – One 8-inch and one 9-inch. (Williams-Sonoma)
26. Tart Pan (Kaiser Bakeware Round Quiche Pan with Removable Bottom)
27. Bench Scraper (OXO)
29. Box Grater (Cuisipro)
30. Candy Thermometer (ThermoWorks ChefAlarm)
31. Cherry Pitter – If you ever bake with fresh cherries, this is a must! (OXO)
32. Citrus Zester - Perfect for oranges, lemons, grapefruits, etc. Takes all of the zest without the pith. (Microplane)
33. Cookie Scoops – Two large, one medium and one small. (OXO)
34. Cutting Boards – One 15-inch, one 10½-inch and one 7½-inch. (OXO)
35. Fine-Mesh Sieves – One 8-inch and one 6-inch. (OXO)
36. Grater/Zester (Microplane)
37. Instant-Read Digital Thermometer (ThermoWorks Thermapen)
38. Kitchen Scale (OXO 22-lb Capacity Scale)
39. Kitchen Torch (Williams-Sonoma)
40. Mandoline (OXO)
41. Measuring Cups (Dry) – I have multiple sets of measuring cups, but my favorite set is Amco.
42. Measuring Cups (Liquid) – 1-cup (two), 2-cup and 4-cup glass measuring cups. (Pyrex)
43. Measuring Spoons – I have at least five sets, but Cuisipro is my favorite.
45. Oven Thermometer (Cooper-Atkins)
46. Pastry Blender (OXO)
47. Pastry Brush (Winco)
48. Pastry Mat – Great for kneading and rolling out dough. (King Arthur Flour)
49. Pizza Cutter – I not only use this for pizza, but also for cutting bars and brownies. Clean cuts every time! (OXO)
50. Pizza Peel (EXO)
51. Potato Masher – Useful for more than just potatoes! (WMF)
52. Potato Ricer (OXO)
53. Spatulas (Offset) - These are invaluable for spreading icing, toppings, ganache, cookie, dough, etc. I have multiple sizes. (Wilton)
54. Spatulas (Rubber/Silicone) – I have a large assortment of rubber and silicone spatulas, and as far as I’m concerned, you can never have too many! My favorites are the Rubbermaid models.
55. Spatulas (Metal) – These are perfect for transferring cookies from baking sheets to cooling racks, flipping grilled cheese sandwiches, and everything in between. I have a variety of sizes and brands with no real preference.
57. Wooden Spoons – I have a huge assortment of bamboo wood spoons and spatulas.
58. Bread Knife (Wusthof)
59. Chef’s Knife (Victorinox)
60. Paring Knife (Wusthof)
61. Santoku Knife (MAC)
62. Slicing Knife (Wusthof)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This is a pretty comprehensive list of everything I keep stocked for baking (and just about all of my cooking). I included brands and sources where applicable, but again, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask below!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.